Wednesday, February 08, 2006

My apologies . . .


to the Kiri shawl. This monstrosity was the result of yardsale yarn, bought in Ohio by my sister's MIL, sent to Florida to my sister, and then to me, in SC. The exact yarn is Phildar, Beaugency 173, 50% mohair, 31% wool, and 19% acrylic. Green, with a gradient from light to dark. And, um, yukky. It was itchy. Almost crunchy. My problem is that I just can't say no to yarn. Even bad yarn. So I took up the needles and decided to try my hand and the crunchy yarn at Kiri. Great pattern, but we already know how I feel about the yarn. Talk about a bad choice of fiber all the way around. I just wanted to be done with the thing after the first ball of yarn, hence the failure to try to match the striping effect of the fiber. The pattern doesn't stand out, and the yarn is too thick and hairy. But I perservered, from July 'til Jan., when I finally blocked this sucker. The 19% acrylic really messed with the blocking, but it couldn't keep me from trying my best to make it look presentable. I sent it back to my sister, and she sent it up to (cold, frozen) NE Ohio, to her MIL, for her 80th birthday. The gift that keeps on giving. On a side note, my sister said the cat kept licking it after she got it. Maybe the crunchiness was minute particles of cat food. Stranger things have happened.

1 comment:

Vera said...

I don't lnow how the sahwl feels, but she looks goosd.

Catching Up

First things first - you might have noticed I've changed the name of the blog. Knitting NonPareil was appropriate at one time, but I don...