Monday, February 06, 2006

No-guilt Goodness


I recently read a post in which a knitter described herself as a "process" knitter. She explained that she loves the process of knitting, and she routinely cranks out item after item. I, on the other hand, am not a process knitter. I don't love the process. In fact, I really dislike it. I love the starting, the fondling, the colors, the textures. I don't like the process, and even after I finish an item, it doesn't hold the appeal it did as a skein of yarn and a pattern. What I am though, is a process baker. I love the process, I love the ingredients, and I love how it turns out. I rarely eat the baking, but I love sharing it with others. My co-workers have complained that they are steadily gaining weight. Well, some of them. The others stop by to see what's on the menu that day. Not all that process baking is a success, though. The really bad stuff (the one-bowl brownies made with a sugar substitute, and accidentally, self-rising flour. They really need to package it differently than the all-purpose stuff) I throw away, and the iffy and great stuff I take into work. Some of my successes have been my poundcake and my cinnamon buns. Recently I found a newspaper clipping in a cookbook that my sister pulled from someone's trash. The cookbook, Treasured Polish Recipes for Americans, is a treasure, but it's the clipping that has really been a hit. It was from the Thursday, March 29th, 1990 edition of the Miami Herald, and featured a pie that makes its own crust. The name - "Impossible Coconut Custard Pie", is very fitting. Creamy custard with a coconut topping. I'm not sure if such a thing is copyrighted, so I found the exact recipe online. I substituted the sugar for the stuff that comes in the yellow package, cup for cup, and you couldn't tell the difference. While my presentation always leaves room for improvement, the pie does not.

No comments:

Catching Up

First things first - you might have noticed I've changed the name of the blog. Knitting NonPareil was appropriate at one time, but I don...