Saturday, June 24, 2006

Moving Right Along

I'm glad y'all are enjoying my attempts at dressform making! Before I forget, I need to thank Julie for checking on the paper tape, and finding out it's pressure sensitive, not self adhesive. Now honey, it's your turn to try one with the paper tape! I've decided to stick with my twin for now, before I try another. I bought a ton (that sounds bad) of stuffing this morning to get me all shaped up. Me, as in the twin. I also bought some dollar a yard fabric at Wal-Mart to make a muslin of the 1914 Afternoon Dress. The kind and helpful people over at Sense and sensibility Patterns pointed me in the right direction for a corset. I've decided to do this one, over at Past Patterns. A million years ago, when Past Patterns was still in Grand Rapids, MI, I was able to tour their facilities. It was on a rainy Saturday, and the only person there (I think) was the owner, Saundra Ros-Altman. She graciously let me in out of the rain, and showed me around. I had done some photography for a local paper back in Ohio on a gentleman who made authentic reproduction Civil War uniforms and clothing, and had caught the bug. This was long before the internet, so everything was word of mouth and library research, and I am assuming that's how I heard about Past Patterns. I love Past Patterns! She showed me some of their vintage clothing they were studying, and how they drafted patterns and cut them out. I don't remember a lot of it, just that I was in seventh heaven. They have since moved (to Indiana?) and I've moved, so I doubt I'll ever get the chance to go visit again. You only have to be nice to me one time to make me a loyal follower!
On the knitting front, I finished the front of the Old Friend Pullover last week, and am almost done with the back. We went to see V for Vendetta last night, and I didn't drop a stitch. I thought it was a great movie, too, and I'll refrain from any politics right now. Those who have seen the movie will understand.
Before I leave, here's a link to a great site for anyone who likes reproduction clothing. This young woman is amazing!

1 comment:

Shannon said...

OK, looking for an update on your Stunt Double. How is she coming along? There's no way my husband would help me do a project like that.

Catching Up

First things first - you might have noticed I've changed the name of the blog. Knitting NonPareil was appropriate at one time, but I don...