Tuesday, December 11, 2007

It's What I'm All About

The knitting and the baking. That's where it's at. I had a holiday hit this year with the knitted handwarmers from Weekend Knitting, by Melanie Falick and Erica McConnell. I made a pair for everyone at work. Yes, handwarmers in south Georgia. There are some cold folks down here. Anyway, the handwarmers were a hit, and I've had two more requests for some! My co-worker's husband requested a pair, and even bought the yarn to make them. He wanted down and dirty ones, something he could get dirty and wash at will, so his wife brought me some grey Red Heart. I'm no yarn snob, but acrylic yarn feels "crunchy" to me now, not soothing or anything. I'm sure he'll like them, and they'll keep his hands warm in our freezing weather. I think it was clear down to 82 degrees today. Another co-worker showed them to her mother, and she is getting me the yarn to make her a pair. They have to be the easiest items to knit - EVER!! Garter stitch on straight needles. A monkey could make them.
My baking has slacked off a bit. There really aren't enough people here at the library to eat all the food I make (most of them are dieting anyway) and I refuse to eat it all myself. BUT, I did make some cinnamon rolls for everyone.

They're essentially homemade, but I get the dough mix from a little place in Columbiana, Ohio, called the Das Dutch Haus. Wait, I lied. The mix is actually from the shop behind the Dutch Haus - it's called Das Dutch Cupboard. They sell all kinds of stuff, even spelt flour. What is it you make with spelt flour?
Now, for all you crafty people out there - you have to, must, I insist you go visit Sew, Mama, Sew. I am making the wellness bag with the hot/cold therapy packs to go in it. There are some terrific ideas. I intend to make a few of these for the babies. Lucas loves to play ball, but ends up fighting his 3 brothers for one. I suppose I'll have to make quite a few!

3 comments:

Julie said...

I love the links to the Sew, Mama, Sew site. Thanks! But I do not even have time for all my knitting projects anymore, much less time for new things....

Julie said...

Quite a bit later... I've been wandering through sewing blogs, from one link to the next, saving tutorials, planning projects... instead of writing lesson plans. Help!

Theresa said...

Wow those cinnamon rolls look good! :o) Spelt is a grain that is in the wheat family and you can use it in anything that you would use whole wheat flour in. It's quite tasty if you like whole grains. Thanks for visiting my blog. I had fun looking around at all the neat stuff you have been making lately! :o)

Catching Up

First things first - you might have noticed I've changed the name of the blog. Knitting NonPareil was appropriate at one time, but I don...