Monday, June 21, 2010

Savannah, Part One

We've spent a lot of time in Savannah, Ga, because it's John's favorite southern city. Mine is Charleston, SC, but that's another story. We tend to do the same things: head out to Tybee Island, if we're not already staying there, eat at the Crab Shack, visit the pier, walk on River Street in Savannah, browse all the candy stores, walk around sight-seeing, eat at Moon River Brewery, etc. We've done city/historic tours and ghost tours. It's always fun, almost always hot and humid, and we never leave wishing we had gone somewhere else. But as I took in the view over the city from our vantage point in our hotel on River Street, I realized that I needed to share. After all, there are people in Washington or Vermont who may never get a chance to see this great city in person, like I may never get to see Washington or Vermont! It may never be an option. I really enjoy reading other blogs that take you around the neighborhood, the city, the state. Vacationing online? Now that's an option! So join me as I wander out today on this first day of summer in Savannah.
A bit of history: British General James Oglethorpe first landed on the historic bluff above the Savannah River in 1733, almost 300 years ago. At the time, there were a number of native American tribes living in coastal Georgia. With the help of the Yamacraw leader, Tomochichi, Oglethorpe created a city in the heart of the Georgia wilderness. Savannah was based on a system of squares (remember the famous Forest Gump "box of chocolates" scene? yep, filmed on Chippewa Square), and 22 of the original 24 remain, each with its own distinctive style. But enough of that - let me share my hotel room photos, then I'll hit the streets and take some pictures. See you tonight!

This is the street view from my hotel window. West Bay, one street over from the Savannah River.
The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist's spires tower over the city.
The Lady and Sons restaurant, you know, Paula Deen's restaurant! It does exist, it does exist! We ate there a few years back, when they had low country boil on the buffet. Fantastic! John wasn't thrilled with the price, and I consider it more of a rite of passage rather than an everyday eatery. We may go back again, but most likely we'll just keep visiting new restaurants every time.

No comments:

Catching Up

First things first - you might have noticed I've changed the name of the blog. Knitting NonPareil was appropriate at one time, but I don...