and blue. and green. I've been dying up a storm these days, pots of dye and drying fiber everywhere. I divided up a pound of merino roving and experimented with it, using both kool-aid and acid dyes. I had never worked with straight roving before, but it was pretty straight forward.
These are the blue raspberry and ice blue baths. I also did a lemon-lime, which produced a green roving. Here they are after drying.
Then I moved on to purple. Ah, purple. I was never able to get a non-muddy color with Kool-aid, so I bought some Knit Picks acid dye. I bought both purple and lilac, and came to the conclusion I liked the lilac much better. I didn't take any shots of the lilac roving, which turned out very rich looking, but here's some sock yarn in the making. This and this turned into this:
I'm going to give the skein (lilac and natural) away in a swap, and I'm going to use the wound ball (purple, lilac and natural) to make Rosa's socks. from Interweave Knits.
I also dyed some fingering weight merino (light lilac) to make something like this, which I freaking LOVE!