Monday, December 01, 2008

Post-Thanksgiving Sugar High

Okay, it's December 1st, and time to get cracking with that holiday baking. You know, so you can give everyone stuff they'll throw away after Christmas.

Here's one of my favorite candy-type recipes that I never hear of anyone else making. I first had these way back in 1993, when a proof-reader at Grandville Printing in Michigan made them. I can't remember her name, but her candy lives on! I have never eaten a commercially made Bun Bar,

but if this is where the recipe was originated, I guess I missed out! They're so rich and sweet/salty, perfect for a little snack.


MAPLE BUN BARS

1 c. peanut butter
12 oz. chocolate chips
12 oz. butterscotch chips
12 oz. peanuts ( I use a can of Spanish peanuts)
1 c. melted butter
1/4 c. vanilla pudding (not instant)
1/2 c. milk
1 tsp. maple flavor
2 lbs. powdered sugar
Melt peanut butter and chips in microwave. (Stir occasionally until melted.)
Pour 1/2 mixture into 15"x10" greased pan.
Refrigerate.
Add peanuts to remaining mixture and set aside.
Melt butter, add pudding powder and milk. Bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute.
Add flavoring and powder sugar; mix well. (Keep mixing until there are no lumps. I do this by hand, but I don't see why you couldn't use your mixer. You're smarter than I am.)
Spread over chocolate layer. Refrigerate again.
Spread remaining mixture with nuts over top. (May need to be heated again.) Refrigerate.
Eat. Drink some water. Eat more. Feel sick. Drink some more water. Eat another piece.

No comments:

Catching Up

First things first - you might have noticed I've changed the name of the blog. Knitting NonPareil was appropriate at one time, but I don...