Monday, February 09, 2009

Poopy Old Monday

Mondays are difficult for me. They tend to be the day that I really start to wonder why it is I leave the house five days a week, only to work for someone else. Then I wake up and remember those credit cards.

Okay, back to business! We went to see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button on Friday. It was fun to recognize New Orleans, and I liked the movie. I really didn't love Cate Blanchett though. I think Winslett would have been better. And did you know the movie was based on a short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald? Not my favorite author, either, but you can read the short story online, for free. Here. If you read the story first, you won't recognize it in the movie.

I'm planning on reading The Reader before I see it, and I'm wondering how far off the movie will be. Oh, and if you did see The Curious Case, did you notice the dubbing of the little girl's voice in the beginning? She was supposed to be 5, but had the voice of a 40-year-old trying to imitate a southern accent. Freaked me out.

On to one of my recent culinary conquests. If you can call hamburger that.

Oh. My. God. I love this stuff. I grew up eating it, and we call it hammermacker. The problem is that I never wrote it, I just said it, so my sister and I played around with how to spell it. I assume it's a combination of the words hamburger and macaroni. I know, sounds logical, but Betsy was the one who pointed that out to me. You brown ground beef (however much you want, who measures?) maybe say, one pound. Drain it, then add some green peppers and onions. During the winter I just buy the frozen stuff. Then add a can of cream of mushroom soup. Stir it up (don't add water or milk, unless you think you absolutely have to) and add COOKED elbow macaroni, and salt and pepper. I love lots of pepper on mine before I eat it, as evidenced by the above picture. When I was young I refused to eat the little brown mushroom pieces, after someone told me what they were. My advice to you is to NOT tell the kids what's in it. You can probably process the onion and green pepper really small if they don't like them, either. I firmly believe in the old adage that what they don't know won't kill them.

2 comments:

MichelleB said...

It's kind of funny how they base things off books, and the resulting movie/play is so different. I recently saw Wicked, and am now reading the book. And really, the book is so very different from the play. I do plan on re-reading Coraline before I see the movie. I remember that being a great book. But then I'm a huge Neil Gaiman fan.

MichelleB said...

Okay, you're one of those darn no-reply bloggers! So I'm going to reply here. LOL

Coraline is a great book. I just finished reading the Benjamin Button short story. It was good, very interesting. Kind of leaves you with a bit of a melancholy feeling.

Catching Up

First things first - you might have noticed I've changed the name of the blog. Knitting NonPareil was appropriate at one time, but I don...