Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Absolutely NOTHING!

to say, that is. I take that back - I have plenty to say, but I'm just too lazy to log on to blogger to tell all of you. It's all that blah not-quite-spring-weather that made me feel lazy, but now things are blooming and the sap is rising! I hit the horticulture sale here at school last week and scored a few items: tomatoes, cukes, herbs, peppers (4 different kinds), zucchini and squash. Oh, and some nicotiana. I've tried growing it for years from seed, with no luck. Let's see how long it takes me to kill the new plants. John and fixed up the raised beds and planted most everything, except for the squash and zucchini. I ran out of room! I may just plant it around the house, so it will have room to grow wherever it pleases. I had no luck with them last year, so I've got my fingers crossed. I found volunteer marigolds, basil, parsley and cilantro coming up in the herb bed, and even radishes I planted late last fall coming up in another. I think I've got a good start, as long as we don't get any hail storms. Last year's hail storm in April decimated the garden.

I've been doing some knitting, spinning and sewing, and even a little "crafting". My youngest daughter and SIL just moved into their new house, and I made them some coasters. Lest you think I'm really chintzy, I bought them a new fridge, too! For the coasters, I bought some tumbled slate-type tiles at a flooring store in Jacksonville, a mere .33 a piece. I used Stayz-on stamping ink, and one of my favorite rubber stamps to stamp the fronts.
I didn't coat them with anything, because I wanted them to stay absorbant. The Stayz-on ink doesn't run - trust me, I tested it! I put felt pads on the back. They pads have adhesive on the back, so all you do is peel and stick.I wish I had a cuter stamp to use for them, something more her taste, but she'll probably go out and make her own now anyway! Isn't that an easy project?

3 comments:

Marie said...

I hope we don't get hail this year. Your poor garden.

Beverly said...

The costers are lovely gifts. One of the reasons I like reading blogs is the ideas and tips you can get from them.

Anonymous said...

I bought some cilantro from the Hort Club a couple of weeks ago - how often and how much can you hervest off a plant without killing it?!?! I'm ready to make some salsa!!


BD

Catching Up

First things first - you might have noticed I've changed the name of the blog. Knitting NonPareil was appropriate at one time, but I don...