Friday, January 28, 2011

Covet

Due to my rather obsessive personality, I sometimes tend to covet items. For the past couple of years I've been drawn to still lifes and oil paintings - food, rabbits, chickens, whatever.

Like this.
Not like this. Interesting, but not something I want to wake up to.

I like this, by Marilyn M. King.

And these ladies, by Lisa Gloria.

So last weekend at our annual LOLA (Love of Love Affair) fundraiser, I won (bought!) this at our silent auction.
I took the picture with my phone, so excuse the wonkiness. The painting is by a local artist, Ann Clayton, who was at the fundraiser, but whom I never did meet. I've probably been in line behind her at the grocery store!
I love this painting, which is about 8"x10". I've been moving it around the house to different spots to see where I like it best. I love it when I LOVE it!
I'm one of those people who can't just "decorate" - I have to "develop" my surroundings. When we first moved here almost 4 years ago, it drove John crazy because I wouldn't just put up pictures and curtains and all that other stuff right away. I told him we needed to live in the house for a while to get the feel of it. It made me crazy that we had to pick paint colors before we even moved in. It was almost painful! I've repainted 2 of the bedrooms so far, and I'm itching to do more, but John likes it the way it is so I'm stuck doing it by myself. It took me 6 months from start to finish to paint our bedroom (hey, I did the ceiling, too, give me a break). I love to find things that speak to me and then find the perfect spot in the house for them. John, on the other hand, likes to put it all up, or go out and buy something that is the right size or color for the spot, whether it's something he loves or not. For me, finding the perfect painting does not mean a quick run to Garden Ridge or Hobby Lobby. Ugh. I think this has led me to another blog post - my strange taste in found objects!
Does anyone else do this? Is your home constantly changing, or are you able to get it done and then just sit back and enjoy it?

No comments:

Catching Up

First things first - you might have noticed I've changed the name of the blog. Knitting NonPareil was appropriate at one time, but I don...